Specifying Recipe Yield
applies to: nutraCoster 3.0
To specify the yield of your recipe:
- Enter all of the ingredients and quantities for your recipe.
- Use the Add or Change Units procedure to define a unit for the yield. Refer to the article Defining Units of Measure for instructions.
- Use the Production tab of the Change Recipe/Formula window to specify the Processing Yield of your recipe in terms of the unit you just defined.
There are 4 yield numbers associated with each recipe:
- Total Ingredient Weight
- Preparation Yield
- Processing Yield
- Finishing Yield
The default Preparation Yield, Processing Yield and Finishing Yield is 100%, so by default the Preparation Yield, Processing Yield and Finishing Yield equal the Total Ingredient Weight.
Preparation Yield and Finishing Yield refer to all losses that affect all nutrients equally, such as batter sticking to mixers, spillage, breakage, etc. Preparation Yield includes the total of all such losses before processing. Finishing Yield includes the total of all losses after processing.
Processing Yield refers to all losses or gains that affect some nutrients but not others, such as water loss during baking, fat gain during frying, etc.
The Finishing Yield is the final yield of your recipe.
Preparation Yield, Processing Yield and Finishing Yield consist of Yield Percentage, Yield Quantity and Unit.
Here are step by step instructions to define units and specify the yield of your recipe.
- Click the Add or Change Recipes/Formulas tool bar button (with the picture of the card file). This opens the Add or Changes Recipes/Formulas window.
- In the Add or Change Recipes/Formulas window select your recipe and click OK.
- In the Change Recipe/Formula window, click the Production tab.
- Click the Add or Change Units button (red measuring cup) next to the unit dropdown for any of the yields. This opens the Units of Measure window for your recipe.
- Define the unit as described in the article Defining Units of Measure.
- Close the Units of Measure window.
- In the Production tab of the Change Recipe/Formula window, open the unit dropdown for the Processing Yield and choose the unit you just defined. nutraCoster will automatically scale the Processing Yield Quantity.
- Change the Processing Yield Quantity (the middle box) to the correct yield for the batch you entered.
- Repeat steps (7) and (8) for the Finishing Yield.
- Click Save Recipe/Formula.
- When you change the Processing Yield Quantity, nutraCoster will calculate the Processing Yield Percentage. For processes that involve losses, this percentage will be less than 100%.
- The unit you defined is for the weight after cooking. This is the Processing Yield.
- When you enter Processing Yield in the Production tab, nutraCoster assumes that any losses are water loss. If you have losses or gains other than water loss, enter them in the Nutrient Changes Due to Processing tab.
- The Finishing Yield is the final result of the recipe.