applies to: nutraCoster 3.0, nutraCoster Cloud
nutraCoster Professional 3.0 updates automatically. We release frequent updates, as often as once or twice a month.
Updates include enhancements, new features and bug fixes.
- To see new features, choose Help, New Features from the menu.
How Automatic Updates Work
When nutraCoster starts, it accesses the Internet to check for updates. If an update is available, nutraCoster will download the update and inform you that an update is available.
nutraCoster checks for updates in the background. This process can take a few seconds or longer, depending on your Internet speed. If there is no update, you will not be aware that nutraCoster is checking for updates.
nutraCoster will not interrupt your work to inform you that an update is available. nutraCoster waits until all nutraCoster windows are closed before it informs you that an update is available.
You can also choose Help, Check for Updates from the menu to check for updates at any time.
If you choose to update, nutraCoster will close and restart with the new update. The entire process takes only a few seconds.
Behind the Scenes - Technical Details
Here is how nutraCoster automatic updates work:
- Each time it starts, nutraCoster checks the Internet to see if an update is available.
- If an update is available, nutraCoster downloads the update to the application folder.
- nutraCoster 3.0 Desktop: Unless you changed it, the application folder is C:\Coster3 and the update file is costerupdate.exe.
- nutraCoster Cloud: Unless you changed it, the application folder is C:\nutraCoster Cloud and the update file is nutraCoster Cloudupdate.exe.
- nutraCoster informs the user that an update is available.
- If the user proceeds, nutraCoster launches the updater.exe application.
- nutraCoster closes.
The updater.exe application does the following:
- updater.exe deletes the application file.
- nutraCoster 3.0 Desktop: The application file is coster.exe.
- nutraCoster Cloud: The application file is nutraCoster Cloud.exe.
- updater.exe renames the update file to the application file name.
- nutraCoster 3.0 Desktop: Renames costerupdate.exe to coster.exe.
- nutraCoster Cloud: Renames nutraCoster Cloudupdate.exe to nutraCoster Cloud.exe.
- updater.exe launches the updated nutraCoster application.
- updater.exe closes.
Automatic Update requires permissions to delete files and rename files in the application folder.
In some cases updater.exe might not be able to complete the update. Here are some possible reasons:
- The logged-in Windows user might not have delete or rename permissions for the application folder.
- There might be Security Policies in place that prevent delete or rename operations in the application folder.
If the Automeatic Update fails to update your nutraCoster, you can manually perform the actions described above. (If the issue is lack of permissions, that could also prevent you from updating manually.)
Here are instructions:
- When nutraCoster informs you there is an update available, click Cancel.
- To avoid losing the application file if manual update does not work, rename the application file. See above for default folder locations.
- nutraCoster 3.0 Desktop: Rename coster.exe to coster_old.exe.
- nutraCoster Cloud: Rename nutraCoster Cloud.exe to nutraCoster Cloud_old.exe.
- Rename the update file.
- nutraCoster 3.0 Desktop: Rename costerupdate.exe to coster.exe.
- nutraCoster Cloud: Rename nutraCoster Cloudupdate.exe to nutraCoster Cloud.exe.